Dreading a diagnosis

The two worst feelings in the world, after grief, are surely hope and fear .  Hope is not always good you know, there is that desperate clung-to hope that comes with a cheery 'Let's wait and see, it might not be all that bad!' whilst deep down you feel impending doom.

And then there are times when hope doesn't even get a look in.  Her sunshine demeanour is blotted out by a steam-roller of dread.  As winter drew in, fear was my constant companion.  All the usual, well-known sensible liver problems had given a negative result, so in the knowledge that my mother had died of pancreatic cancer, I was placed on the 'urgent oncology screening' list. 

Christmas 2017 was a weird one.  My first born was 5,000 miles away.  All good here, I chirruped by text.  But it wasn't.  Scott and I cried buckets, curled up in a two person ball.  Fixated on a worst case scenario, Dr Google had already found me a place in a hospice before I had even had the CT scan.

January saw the return of Little Miss Hope with a referral to the Liver Clinic at Kings and more tests, since the big C had been ruled out.  I broke all records with 18 vials of blood being taken in one sitting. Kings is so thorough. Those little bottles will keep the vampire babies happy, I joked with the flustered nurse who was new to the job and struggling.

My LFTs were through the roof - I think that means Liver Function Tests.  There is so much jargon in this condition, I can't begin to know every acronym.  I had camera invasion at both ends, lay in noisy machines and had various probes rubbed over my torso.  It was all rather alarming especially when the ultra-sound nurse looked at me sternly and said; 'Don't breathe'.  I have very poor medical knowledge, but I do know breathing is pretty important.

With each test, the options were narrowed, funnelling me towards a diagnosis of Autoimmune Hepatitis, which did not come until April; six months after I had first known I had a problem with my liver.  There is a wonderful Futurelearn course on looking after your liver in which an eminent hepatologist explains that AIH (Autoimmune Hepatitis) is usually diagnosed through a process of elimination.  For a pragmatic physician this is probably quite an enjoyable process, but for the sufferer it is a complete roller-coaster.





Comments

  1. Fascinating how it varies. I had odd blood tests, repeated, and before I was even told I'd been referred to a consultant I had worked out from the patient access results + Google that it was probably AIH. An ultrasound ruled out anything solid (no-one said cancer), the hepatologist said biopsy (while I was still trying to wriggle out of it), and I had that a couple of weeks ago. Will see hep again in a few more weeks for the final (I imagine) diagnosis, but that's barely over 4 months.

    Sorry to hear your experience has been so tough - I guess the family history had a part in that. But this 'diagnosis by exclusion' thing is weird, isn't it. I'm still symptom-free, unless I think about it a lot... which is leading me to ponder how ill we are made by being told we are ill.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning the Lingo

Soylent Green

How do you know?